Setting a strong foundation for your new or existing business is the key to success in your suite. Whether just starting out your business or growing your thriving business more, we’ve included some helpful common sense ideas for you to consider.
Make sure your goals are SMART; ‘specific’, measurable’, ‘achievable’, ‘realistic’ and ‘time-specific’. Short term goals are those that you set for your business within the first two years of starting it. Long Terms goals are set to be achieved within three to five years.
Jot down a business plan and include your business name, purpose, mission statement, goals (from above), evaluate your existing clients, state your plan to grow new clients, etc. Create a simple legal business entity. Fill out an application, once approved, sign a lease. Create or get a logo. Get an Illinois sales tax number, merchant account, separate bank account and charge card. Decide how you will book clients, maintain your client list. Research your insurance needs; health, professional and business liability insurance. Evaluate your equipment tools, plan on adding or updating where needed. Keep your state of Illinois license up to date, plan continuing education. Focus some of your continuing education on enhancing your business. Join industry organizations.
Create a retail plan
Make contact with beauty supply sales people for the brand you most associate yourself with. Create pleasing retail space in your suite. Be informed and inform your clients on your product line. Have a running inventory list and re-order before your product supply runs out.
Budget yourself marketing time each week and use it wisely. Research ideas for marketing that will fit into your allotted time. Consider some of these:
- Try Groupon
- Design & print your business card
- Plan cross-industry networking opportunities: photographers, wedding consultants, local health clubs
- Create your BUSINESS social media spaces; FaceBook, Instagram, You Tube, Pinterest, etc. Ask family, friends and clients to like you. Share, like and post!
- Register your business with Yelp
- Plan an open house!
- Create a referral program
- Build a year long calendar of events centered around holidays, wedding seasons, prom promotions, girls night out, make-over event.
- Create a rewards program: birthday,
- Always book next appointments.
- Use your continuing education to gain news skills to market.